Thanks to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA), starting on August 1st women will have increased access to important and meaningful preventive care services without needing to pay a co-pay.
Included in these services:
- an annual well woman visit,
- birth control, including oral contraception and IUDs,
- HIV screening and counseling,
- sexually transmitted infection counseling,
- screening for gestational diabetes,
- breastfeeding consultation and supplies, including breast pumps, and
- screening and counseling for domestic violence
With this increased access, more women will benefit from preventive care–services that were not always covered by private insurance companies prior to the ACA’s implementation.
Read more about these benefits here, thanks to Families USA (pdf).
Thanks to the ACA, insurance companies are also prohibited from charging women more for their health insurance simply because they are women. The law includes other benefits for women and families.
This increased access is a huge benefit to women across the US. Today is a great day for women’s health.