National Physicians Alliance

Committed to Advancing the Core Values of the Medical Profession:

Service, Integrity, and Advocacy

Join

Donate

J & J’s Monster Settlement – Join the Discussion

Posted by Becky Martin, NPA Interim Operations Director January 6, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Click Here to RSVP

Join NPA’s upcoming conference call presentation

Holding the Industry Accountable:
Covering Pharmaceutical Industry Marketing Practices

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 from 9:00 to 10:00pm
(EST)

Featured Speaker:

Ed Silverman
Pharmalot, Past Editor

Ed Silverman is a prize-winning journalist who has covered the pharmaceutical industry for the past 18 years.  Prior to his work at Pharmalot, Ed was a bureau chief for The Pink Sheet, the venerable industry newsletter, and a contributor to its sister publication, In Vivo magazine. Before that, Silverman worked as a business writer for The Star-Ledger of New Jersey, one of the nation’s largest daily newspapers, where he conceived and launched Pharmalot. During his 13-year tenure, he closely followed a variety of topics of concern to those who work for, and with, drug makers – drug development; mergers and acquisitions; regulatory oversight; safety and pricing controversies, and marketing issues.

Ed will discuss his recent work covering the recent Johnson & Johnson $2.2 billion settlement to resolve criminal and civil lawsuits that alleged the healthcare giant illegally marketed the antipsychotic Risperal and two other medicines.  He will also discuss paid kickbacks to physicians and Omnicare, the largest nursing home pharmacy to increase prescriptions.
See Ed Silverman’s story on the J & J settlement here.

Click here to RSVP

_________________________________

New Resource >> Ask an Expert Panel!

• Are you working for change in your institution or community?
  • Do you have questions about how to make effective change?

Bring your questions on how to strenghten conflict-of-interest policies in your practice or institution to the second half of the call.

Following the presentation we will be joined by Wells Wilkinson, Esq., Director of the Prescription Access Litigation Project at Community Catalyst and Stephen R. Smith, MD, Professor Emeritus of Family Medicine, Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, NPA Founding Board Member, and Community Catalyst consultant for an interactive discussion designed to help to answer questions and connect participants with project resources and new tools available to help reduce conflicts of interest at academic medical centers and in the medical profession.

_________________________________

NPA’s Avoiding Conflict-of-Interest in Medicine Leadership Calls are offered bi-monthly as part of the Partnership to Advance Conflict-free Medical Education (PACME).

This partnership and related materials were made possible by a grant from the state Attorney General Consumer and Prescriber Education Grant Program which is funded by the multi-state settlement of consumer fraud claims regarding the marketing of the prescription drug Neurontin.
Learn more at www.npalliance.org/conflict-free

If you have any questions, please contact Becky Martin, NPA Project Manager, becky.martin@npalliance.net

Comment With Facebook