Posted by Becky Martin, NPA Advocacy Director May 4, 2017 at 6:00 AM
The disastrous Republican ACA repeal bill, the American Health Care Act, is going to the House floor for vote on Thursday and the count is very close. This is a Red Alert!
We know we’ve asked before, but because this is so critical physician voices are heard loud and clear, we’re asking again.
Please call your Representative now and ask them to vote NO on the American Health Care Act. Then forward this email to five of your colleagues and ask them to do the same.
Here are some of the key points about the bill that you can make on the call:
- Guts protections for people with people with preexisting conditions by eliminating the Affordable Care Act’s guarantee of affordable coverage, allowing insurance companies to charge people as much as they want (and the high risk pools they are offering, even with the latest amendment, have been proven to not be effective coverage replacement)
- Strips healthcare from 24 million Americans and raises premiums by 20 percent
- Eliminates the guarantee that insurance companies cover maternity care, cancer treatments and substance abuse care
- Gives away $600 billion in tax cuts to the wealthiest Americans, including nearly $200,000 each in a single year for the wealthiest 0.1 percent of Americans
- Increases out-of-pocket costs for older Americans by as much $12,900 and allows health insurance companies to charge older Americans more in general
- Guts Medicaid by $880 billion and ends the program as we know it, leading to the rationing of care for children, seniors, and people with disabilities
- Ends Medicaid expansion, meaning 11 million working families, children, people with disabilities, and seniors would lose their insurance
- Eliminates federal funding for Planned Parenthood, putting care for 2.5 million patients nationwide at risk
- Disproportionately hurts Americans living in rural areas
Constituent calls have worked in the past and its not too late for them to make a difference again. For you patients and your communities, please call now. Find your Representative’s name and phone number here.
Find more information and resources from NPA and allies here.