The 2010 federal Affordable Care Act (ACA) put America on the path to quality and affordable health care for all. Over the years the law has faced a multitude of legal and political challenges from opponents seeking to overturn its new health insurance regulations, consumer protections, and coverage expansions. The NPA is actively working to ensure that these protections and coverage expansions guaranteed through the ACA are built upon, not dismantled.
- Speak Out to Your Congress Members and State Legislators
- Find Your Legislators – includes contact info for DC and district offices
- NPA Guide for the Hesitant: Calling Your Elected Officials
- Lobbying Tips for Physicians: Meeting with Your State & Federal Elected Officials
- Policy-Maker Meeting Report Form – Tell us about your outreach to and discussions with your congress members
- Write a Letter to the Editor or post for the NPA Blog (see fact sheets below)
NPA Fact Sheets
- The New American Health Care Act: Dangerous Changes for Patients, Communities, and our Country
- Affordable Care Act Repeal: Impact on Patients & Communities
- Medicaid Block Grants: Unhealthy for Patients, States, and Our Nation
- ACA Impact on Opioid Use Disorder
- Opioid Overdose Deaths Exceed Motor Vehicle Deaths in U.S.
March 22, 2017
ACA 7th Anniversary – NPA President Dr. Manan Trivedi, along with several other NPA physician and medical student colleagues and allies, joined former Vice President Joe Biden, Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, California Governor Jerry Brown, and many members of Congress on the Capitol steps to mark the 7th anniversary of the passage of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and decry the Republican plans to repeal the ACA and replace it with the American Health Care Act (AHCA).
April 1, 2017
March for Health – Washington DC with coordinated sister marches across the country for equitable and affordable access to quality healthcare for all. Confirmed sites include: Washington DC, New York City, Seattle WA, Philadelphia PA, Indianapolis IN, Cleveland OH and Nashville TN. Find a march near you to volunteer or organize your own March for Health in your city.
Find a map of locations and Marcher’s Bill of Rights at www.marchforhealth.org
Twitter: @HealthMarch #marchforhealth
- Amendments to House GOP Repeal Bill Only Leave Consumers Worse Off – Families USA
Fact Sheet – The American Health Care Act Fails America
- AHCA Report Card and Letter to Congress outlining the principles that must be incorporated into any reform of the Affordable Care Act – Consumers Union – the policy and advocacy division of Consumer Reports
Fact Sheet – AHCA Cuts to Medicaid Eligibility and Funding Imperil Millions of Consumers
- Social Media Graphics on House Republican ACA Repeal Plan – Center for Budget & Policy Priorities
- Premiums and Tax Credits Under the Affordable Care Act vs. the American Health Care Act: Interactive Maps – Kaiser Family Foundation
- Proposed Health Care Law Hammers People Over 50 While special interests get a payday – AARP
- Cost Estimate of the American Health Care Act, Congressional Budget Office (March 13, 2017)
- House Tax Credits Would Make Health Insurance Far Less Affordable in High-Cost States, Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
- Medicaid Per Capita Cap Would Shift Costs and Risks to States and Harm Millions of Beneficiaries, Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
- How Medicaid, CHIP, and the ACA Cover Children, Georgetown University Center for Children and Families & the American Academy of Pediatrics, (Feb 2017) fact sheets
- House Republican Proposals to Radically Overhaul Medicaid Would Shift Costs, Risks to States, (Feb 2017) Center on Budget and Policy Priorities (includes state specific info)
- Protect Patients’ Access to Health Care, Presidents of Five Medical Organizations Representing 500,000 Physicians and Medical Students Meet with U.S. Senators With One Message
- ACA Repeal Impact in States, Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, (Dec 2016) fact sheets
- Estimating the Impact of Repealing the ACA on Hospitals – a joint report from the Federation of American Hospitals and the American Hospital Association (see Executive Summary on page 3 – “reversal of coverage would represent an unprecedented public health crisis”)
- Become a member of the NPA – Get regular updates on health reform and actions in your area, free resources for you and your practice, and ongoing advocacy training
- Join us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter
- NPA Local Action Networks & Health Care Justice Suppers:
Tool-kits for Local Physician Engagement – coming soon!