Since 2010, through the annual A. Gene Copello Physician Leadership Summit, the NPA has provided leadership and media training to selected physicians from across the country. The NPA’s Copello Health Advocacy Fellowship honors the life and work of Dr. A. Gene Copello through ongoing action on behalf of patients. Click here to read more about Gene’s legacy.
This year, we have expanded our commitment to professional development with the launch of the Copello Health Advocacy Fellowship. Our 2013 class will focus on issues related to statehouse over-reach with regard to the physician-patient relationship and clinical decision-making.
2013 NPA Copello Fellows:
• Michael Barnett, MD – Internal Medicine, Jamaica Plain, MA
• Rebecca Eleck Bruce, MD – Family Medicine, Prospect, CT
• Alicia Dodson, MD – Internal Medicine/Pediatrics, Bristol, CT
• Kathleen Grimm, MD – Internal Medicine, Pallaitive Care, Buffalo, NY
• James Huang, MD – Family Medicine, Washington, DC
• Sarah Kimball, MD – Internal Medicine, Cambridge, MA
• Kohar Jones, MD – Family Medicine, Chicago, IL
• Rashmi Kudesia, MD – Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility, New York, NY
• May Nguyen, MD, MPH – Family Medicine, Houston, TX
• Lisa Plymate, MD – Family Medicine, Seattle, WA
• Mark Rood, MD – Family Medicine, South Russell, OH
• Tobie Smith, MD – Family Medicine, Washington, DC
• Kimberley Thornton, MD – Obstetrics/Gynecology, New York, NY
• Anna Tran, MD – Internal Medicine/Pediatrics, Plano, TX
• Elizabeth Wiley, MD, JD, MPH – Family Medicine, Pasadena, MD
NPA 2013 Fellows receive:
• Professional communications and advocacy training
• Expert briefings on legislative threats to clinical freedoms around reproductive health and gun violence prevention
• Monthly policy briefings via conference call
• Opportunities for local and national advocacy around these issues
• Ongoing connection with past and current NPA leaders and Copello Fellows
• Staff support from NPA for local organizing, advocacy efforts, and media outreach throughout the year
NPA 2013 Fellows commit to ongoing local action throughout the year, with logistic support and guidance provided by NPA staff. Examples of actions include: local gatherings with other NPA members; meetings with policymakers; submission of op-eds or other public comment; media interviews and editorial board visits; arranging grand-rounds presentations with invited policy-makers; networking meetings with leaders of local allied physician organizations; participation in community town hall discussions, and more.
For more information, contact Becky Martin, NPA Director of Project Management at email@example.com
We encourage donations to support the Fellowship;
all contributions are fully tax deductible.
Generous support for the 2013 Copello Health Advocacy Fellowship
has been provided by the Otto Haas Charitable Trust.
Barbara Meier schreibt seit vielen Jahren für die NPAlliance Ratgeber und Testberichte. Dabei legt sie großen Wert auf die Ausführlichkeit sowie Richtigkeit ihrer Artikel. Sie zählt zu den wenigen Experten in ihrem Gebiet und hat sich über die letzten Jahren einen Namen in der Gesundheitsbranche gemacht.