On Wednesday, July 30th, the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee held a hearing that looked at the connection between firearms and domestic violence. Moving testimony was delivered by victims, along with shocking data from experts that clearly demonstrates the critical need for commonsense gun laws in our nation and in states across the country.
- American women are 11 times more likely to be killed with guns than women in any other industrialized country.
- Women in the United States account for 84% of all female firearm victims in the developed world.
- Of all the women murdered in this country, more than half are killed by family members or intimate partners.
- When a gun is present in a domestic violence situation, it increases the risk of homicide for women by 500%.
Judiciary Committee Hearing “VAWA Next Steps: Protecting Women from Gun Violence”,
July 30, 2014
As physicians and medical professionals, we see the impact of domestic violence on our patients and their families. We treat the wounds and bruises and work to help victims heal, but when firearms are involved there is all too often little we can do but help families and communities grieve.
We can and should do more! Actionable steps for protecting victims of domestic violence and stalking from gun violence by their intimate partners – regardless of their marital status – include restricting their abusers’ access to firearms; requiring provision of all records of prohibited abusers to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS); and a background checks on all gun sales.
Senators Klobuchar (MN) and Blumenthal (CT) have introduced two pieces of legislation that provide these much-needed protections:
- S. 1290, The Protecting Domestic Violence and Stalking Victims Act
- S. 2483, The Lori Jackson Domestic Violence Survivor Protection Act
Both of these pieces of legislation include commonsense measures that will protect victims and strengthen families and communities. Click here to read the letter NPA sent to the Senate Judiciary Committee and each senator urging swift passage of this legislation.
Click here to contact your Senators now to ask them to
co-sponsor these two important bills.
- Link to S. 1290 bill text
- Link to S. 2483 bill text
Barbara Meier schreibt seit vielen Jahren für die NPAlliance Ratgeber und Testberichte. Dabei legt sie großen Wert auf die Ausführlichkeit sowie Richtigkeit ihrer Artikel. Sie zählt zu den wenigen Experten in ihrem Gebiet und hat sich über die letzten Jahren einen Namen in der Gesundheitsbranche gemacht.